Explore the stunning island of Mont Saint-Michel, located off the coast of Normandy, France. Visit its historic abbey, charming streets, and excellent restaurants, and take in the breathtaking views of the surrounding bay. Whether you're looking for a romantic getaway or a family vacation, Mont Saint-Michel has something to offer every traveler.
Mont Saint-Michel is a small island located off the coast of Normandy, France, known for its picturesque architecture, stunning views, and rich history.
Average Length of Visit
History and Culture
Mont Saint-Michel has a long and fascinating history, dating back to medieval times. It was once a key center of religion and politics, and today it is home to numerous museums, galleries, and cultural institutions.
- Mont Saint-Michel Abbey: A stunning medieval abbey located at the top of the island, with a rich history and stunning views of the surrounding bay.
- La Grande Rue: The main street of the island, lined with charming shops, restaurants, and cafes.
- Ramparts: A series of walls and fortifications that surround the island, offering stunning views of the bay and the surrounding countryside.
- Musée de la Mer et de l'Écologie: A museum dedicated to the natural history and ecology of the surrounding bay and its marine life.
- Saint-Malo: Visit the nearby town of Saint-Malo, located about an hour east of Mont Saint-Michel, and explore its historic walls, charming streets, and excellent seafood restaurants.
- Bayeux: Explore the charming town of Bayeux, located about an hour west of Mont Saint-Michel, and visit its famous tapestry and stunning cathedral.
Mont Saint-Michel is accessible by car, bus, and train, although visitors must park on the mainland and walk or take a shuttle to the island. The shuttle runs regularly throughout the day and is included in the price of admission.
Mont Saint-Michel has a range of accommodation options to suit all budgets, from budget-friendly hostels and hotels to luxurious apartments and boutique hotels. Prices vary depending on location and season, but visitors can expect to pay around $50-$150 per night for a mid-range hotel or Airbnb rental.
Food and Drink
Mont Saint-Michel is known for its excellent cuisine, which includes traditional dishes such as omelette de la mère Poulard (a fluffy omelette made with local ingredients), seafood platters, and cider. Visitors can also enjoy local wines and beers, as well as specialty liqueurs such as Calvados.
Mont Saint-Michel is generally a safe destination for tourists, but visitors should be aware of pickpocketing and scams, particularly around major tourist attractions and on public transportation. Be sure to keep an eye on your belongings and be cautious when approached by strangers.
French is the official language of Mont Saint-Michel, but many locals also speak English and other languages.
The currency used in Mont Saint-Michel is the Euro (EUR). Visitors can exchange currency at banks and exchange bureaus, or withdraw cash from ATMs using a debit or credit card. It's a good idea to inform your bank of your travel plans in advance to avoid any issues with your card.
Climate and Weather
Mont Saint-Michel has a mild oceanic climate, with mild winters and cool summers. The best time to visit is from May to September, when the weather is warm and sunny. Spring and fall can be pleasant as well, with fewer crowds and lower prices. Winter can be chilly and rainy, but it's a great time to explore the island's indoor attractions and enjoy some of its hearty cuisine and drink.
Mont Saint-Michel can be a bit pricey, particularly during peak season. Expect to pay around $40-$50 for admission to the abbey and other attractions. Accommodations can also be expensive, with prices ranging from $100-$300 per night for a mid-range hotel or vacation rental. Visitors can save money by staying on the mainland and taking a shuttle to the island, as well as eating at local cafes and markets instead of more expensive restaurants.
- Wear comfortable shoes for the steep climb up to the abbey and the many stairs throughout the island.
- Take a guided tour of the abbey to learn more about its fascinating history and architecture.
- Visit during the week or early in the morning to avoid crowds and long lines.
- Take a walk along the surrounding bay at low tide to explore the many sandbanks and tidal pools.
⚠️ No COVID data currently available for this location.⚠️
Please be sure to research COVID restrictions for Mont Saint-Michel elsewhere to ensure you have accurate travel information before you plan your trip.
See something wrong or missing? Edit ✏️ the costs for Mont Saint-Michel
See something wrong or missing? Edit ✏️ the scores for Mont Saint-Michel
🤩 Overall Score
🌡 Temperature (Average)
💧 Humidity (Now)
💧 Humidity (Average)
👍 Rated by Members
🚙 Trafic Safety
🇬🇧 English Speaking
👱♂️👨🏾 Racial Tolerance
🏳️🌈 LGBTQ+ Friendly
👩🏻 Female Friendly
👨👩👧👦 Family Score
🌡 Temperature (Now)
🎓 Education Level
👍 Liked by Eurotriprs
✌️ Peace (no wars/pol. conflict)
📡 Free Wifi
👨💻 Co-working places
💵 Income Level
😘 For singles
👩❤️👨 For couples
☔️ Rain (annual)
☀️ Sunshine (hours per day)
🚶♂️ Easy to get around
There are no Eurotrips for Mont Saint-Michel yet.
🚧 I am still working on this feature. 🚧
There are no Interviews or Podcasts for Mont Saint-Michel yet.